Updated: Jul 22
Your probably thinking why should I use my instant pot for pasta when I can just boil it on the stove? I can think of a handful of reasons! But for one it is actually even easier! As if that was possible!
I’ve used this method twice now and I think it is perfect! This might now work for every type such as whole wheat, buckwheat, etc. But for basic pasta I think this is it!
How to determine cook time for pasta.
To determine the best cook time, check the suggested package cook time. Take the highest suggested time and subtract 2 minutes. For example my spaghetti noodles say 3-5 minutes cook time so I used 5-2=3 minutes
Best types of pasta for the instant pot
•Short cut pasta is ideal. Elbow macaroni, penne, rotini, rigatoni, ziti, wheels
•Very small delicate pasta like alphabet pasta will over cook easily.
•Gnocchi, stuffed pasta and homemade pasta will fall apart.
•Long strand pasta like angel hair, fettuccine, linguine and spaghetti will work well, but they have to be broke in half and scattered evenly in pot OR set in a criss cross order, so they don’t end up in a clump. Likely you may still get a few strands stuck together.
Best liquids for cooking pasta
Water and broth are ideally the best liquids to cook pastas in. I recommend a few tablespoons of oil or butter in addition to help you noodles from sticking.
The magic method
• Add pasta to the pressure cooker pot.
• Add liquid: 1 cup of liquid for every 4 ounces of pasta
• Add salt: 1/2 tsp. For every 1 cup of liquid and 4 ounces of pasta
• Add butter or oil 1/2 tablespoon for every 4 ounces of pasta.
• Take the highest suggested cook time and subtract 2 minutes, this is your cook time.
• Quick release when timer is up.
• drain remaining liquid OR if combining with a sauce, reserve some of this liquid it is like a natural thickener!
Butter or oil
1. Add pasta, layered accordingly, water, salt and oil or butter to instant pot
2. Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to the sealed position. Cook at high pressure for the highest suggested package time subtract 2 minutes3. When pressure cooker is complete, use a quick release.
You can also use half of the package suggested time minus 2 minutes
Let me know what works for you!